Hans Becking and José Días of Buff Scott win stage 4 of the Cape Epic 2021
With 73 km and 1650 metres of positive elevation gain, stage 4 of the Absa Cape Epic 2021 has been a real boost for the race. The men's general classification has undergone major changes on a day in which Hans Becking and José Días have been the fastest.
Hans Becking and José Días win stage 4 of the Absa Cape Epic 2021
The day started with the great news that the Canyon Northwave team, second overall, would not continue in the race due to Martin Stosek's digestive problems. Surely this caused many pairs to change their strategies knowing that there would be one more place on the podium. But the changes continued when in the first 52 kilometres, the Bulls team pair of Urs Huber and Simon Schneller, third overall, lost more than 10 minutes, apparently also due to digestive problems.
The Buff Scott team pair of Hans Becking and José Días were the ones who read the day best and on a climb before kilometre 52 launched an attack that broke the lead group that had formed until then and which included leaders Jordan Sarrou and Matthew Beers, Trek Pirelli, the second pair of the Bulls team, formed by Martin Frey and Simons Stiebjahn, South Africans Tristan Nortje and Wessel Botha, and Spaniards Enrique Morcillo and José María Sánchez.
Becking-Dias' move paid off and allowed them to ride solo to the finish line and claim the first victory for the Buff Scott team.
NinetyOne-songo-Specialized leaders Jordan Sarrou and Matt Beers came in second at 43 seconds back, and after this stage they are more leaders than ever with 06:42 minutes over the second pair in the overall, Martin Frey and Simon Stiebjahn, who closed the podium of the day.
Once again, the best Spanish riders were Enrique Morcillo and José María Sánchez, who finished in 5th position and, with the same position in the Top 5 of the general classification.
Results Stage 4 Absa Cape Epic 2021 - Men
- Buff Scott MTB Hans BECKING (#6-1) José DIAS (#6-2) 02:42:50.2
- NinetyOne-songo-Specialized - Jordan SARROU (#3-1) Matthew BEERS (#3-2) 02:43:33.6 +00:00:43.4
- BULLS 2 Martin FREY (#5-1) Simon STIEBJAHN (#5-2) 03:42:10.1 02:44:40.6 +00:01:50.4
- Trek Pirelli - Samuele Porro (#2-1) Fabian Rabensteiner (#2-2) 03:41:50.4 +00:00:02.5
- Buff Scott MTB 2 Enrique MORCILLO VERGARA (#15-1) Jose Maria SANCHEZ RUIZ (#15-2) 02:45:27.0 +00:02:36.8
Absa Cape Epic 2021 overall ranking after stage 4 - Men
- NinetyOne-songo-Specialized - Jordan SARROU (#3-1) Matthew BEERS (#3-2) 15:03:00.0
- BULLS 2 (#5) Martin FREY (#5-1) Simon STIEBJAHN (#5-2) 12:25:01.4 15:09:42.1 +00:06:42.0
- Trek Pirelli - Samuele Porro (#2-1) Fabian Rabensteiner (#2-2) 12:29:04.4 15:13:50.2 +00:10:50.1
- Buff Scott MTB Hans BECKING (#6-1) José DIAS (#6-2) 15:18:12.0 +00:15:12.0
- Buff Scott MTB 2 Enrique MORCILLO VERGARA (#15-1) Jose Maria SANCHEZ RUIZ (#15-2) 15:21:27.7 +00:18:27.6
Sina Frey and Laura Stigger continue to make history at Cape Epic 2021
The Songo-Specialized pair continues to make history in this Absa Cape Epic 2021. Switzerland's Sina Frei and Austria's Laura Stigger took their fifth victory on stage 4 and remain unbeatable in a race they have had their finger on the pulse of since day one.
Again Frei-Stigger allowed themselves to go out in a group and let other pairs, such as Ariane Luthi and Robyn de Groot, lead the first kilometres of the stage, but just before the technical part of the day they again set a high pace that allowed them to go solo and continue to gain advantage in the general classification.
Sina Frei and Laura Stigger reached the finish line of stage 4 first, more than 4 minutes ahead of Candice Lill and Mariske Strauss of the Faces CST team. The podium was completed by the Salusmed pair of Ariane Luthi and Robyn de Groot.
Results Stage 4 Absa Cape Epic 2021 - Women
- Songo-Specialized - Sina FREI (#54-1) Laura STIGGER (#54-2) 03:19:44.7
- Faces CST Candice - LILL (#51-1) Mariske STRAUSS (#51-2) 03:23:54.4 +00:04:09.7
- Salusmed - Ariane LÜTHI (#50-1) Robyn DE GROOT (#50-2) 03:25:53.0 +00:06:08.3
- Computer Mania MTB Adelheid MORATH (#60-1) Cherie REDECKER (#60-2) 03:29:12.1 +00:09:27.3
- Liv-Lapierre Racing Sarah HILL (#55-1) Vera LOOSER (#55-2) 03:33:10.1 +00:13:25.4
Absa Cape Epic 2021 overall ranking after stage 4 - Women
- Songo-Specialized - Sina FREI (#54-1) Laura STIGGER (#54-2) 18:12:32.2
- Salusmed - Ariane LÜTHI (#50-1) Robyn DE GROOT (#50-2) 18:29:56.1 +00:17:23.9
- Faces CST Candice - LILL (#51-1) Mariske STRAUSS (#51-2) 18:41:01.1 +00:28:28.9
- Fairtree - Jennie STENERHAG (#52-1) Amy MCDOUGALL (#52-2) 19:18:58.8 +01:06:26.6
- Computer Mania MTB - Adelheid MORATH (#60-1) Cherie REDECKER (#60-2) 19:22:33.6 +01:10:01.4